Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Class 4 Recap

So what turned out to be a bit of a disappointment, based on what I heard from Beth and others, was quite fun and even a bit challenging for myself. In order to present what I did, I had to get creative because the mediums currently available at my fingertips were sadly lacking. Fail whiteboard markers were failures and so I was asked to go and display my assignment outside in some fashion that was legal. This request piqued my curiosity and I immediately set off to the great outdoors to find a way to carry out the task.

Only a few minutes had passed when I moved out the front of the Informatics building and spied a grouping of pine trees just across West Michigan St. that I figured would do just fine for what I had in mind. A few moments later with a sturdy stick in hand and I was carving out a replica of my drawing assignment into the ground, the pine needles working perfectly as I cut into the surface of the ground and made markings. For a nice chunk of time I did this, largely oblivious to the not so dynamic presentations being made as I worked. Those were far from my mind though and I worked fast and thoroughly until I had my examples created.

Soooo....I went back inside, waited for the current presentation to end, then prompted everyone outdoors, and explained the length and breadth of the assignment I did. And it was really fun. I really enjoyed the whole exercise and we even lounged outside for a time just enjoying the weather. It was simply marvelous. Class wrapped up shortly afterward and what would have otherwise been a boring evening was fresh, new, and dare I say creatively inspiring. All in all, a GREAT SUCCESS.

No comments:

Post a Comment